Skip to main content



I’m a UT student. I feel sick, I think I may have recently been exposed to COVID-19, or I have been diagnosed with COVID-19. What should I do? Should I self-isolate?

What to do if you feel sick

According to the CDC, symptoms of COVID-19 may appear two to 14 days after exposure and include fever, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, and/or loss of taste or smell.

If you start exhibiting these symptoms, you should:

  • Stay home, limit contact with others, and contact your local health care provider or, if needed, your local emergency room. If you are a student still living on campus, a student living in the Knoxville area, or a student worker on campus, you can contact the Student Health Center nurse triage line at 865-974-5080. For after-hours care, contact the University of Tennessee Medical Center emergency room at 865-305-9000. Always call ahead before going to a health care provider or ER.
  • Advise your health care provider regarding your recent travel history and other exposure risk.
  • Do not travel on public transportation.

Continue to maintain the same precautions recommended for everyone:

  • Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hand) when coughing or sneezing.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds to avoid spreading the virus to others. Wash your hands immediately after coughing, sneezing, or blowing your nose.
  • If soap and water are not readily available, you can use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60 percent–95 percent alcohol. Always wash your hands with soap and water if they are visibly dirty.

When to self-isolate for 14 days, even if you feel fine

Although the university has moved spring and summer classes online and drastically reduced the number of students living on campus, it is important for students to understand when they should self-isolate. The university is following CDC and federal guidance for self-isolation and quarantine.

If you fall into one of the specific categories below, you are required to self-isolate or quarantine for at least 14 days:

  • Anyone with symptoms of possible COVID-19 infection as outlined above or known to be positive for COVID-19 infection.
  • Anyone who has had close contact with someone known to be diagnosed with COVID-19. Close contact means you were within about six feet of a person diagnosed with COVID-19 for a prolonged period of time (that is, more than a few minutes). Close contact can occur while caring for, living with, visiting, or sharing a health care waiting area or room with a person who has COVID-19. Close contact also means having direct contact with secretions (typically coughs and sneezes) from a person with COVID-19.
  • Anyone arriving back in the US after traveling in another country.
  • Anyone arriving from a cruise ship (ocean or river).
  • Anyone traveling from areas or cities within the US where community spread of COVID-19 is ongoing. Unlike with international travel, there is no single source or authority to determine if you need to self-isolate after traveling from a location in the US. Instead, domestic travelers need to decide what they need to do based on their evaluation of local conditions. Travelers should check with state or local authorities at their starting point, along their route, and at their planned destination to learn about local circumstances and any restrictions that may be in place.

If you show any symptoms of COVID-19 during your time in self-isolation, contact your local health care provider or, if needed, your local emergency room. If you are a student still living on campus, a student living in the Knoxville area, or a student worker on campus, you can call the Student Health Center nurse triage line at 865-974-5080. For after-hours care, contact the University of Tennessee Medical Center emergency room at 865-305-9000. Always call ahead before going to a health care provider or ER.

All self-isolating students, regardless of location, are asked to complete the self-isolation form. If you are a student employee and need to self-isolate, complete the self-isolation form and communicate with your campus supervisor.

If your self-isolation or health condition could affect your ability to participate in your online classes, communicate directly with your instructors.

After you contact your instructors, if needed, complete the student absence notification form with the Office of the Dean of Students. Office staff will work with you on any needed adjustments to your academic schedule or living arrangements.

If you need support while you are home, assistance is available through the Office of the Dean of Students. If you are in distress, call 865-974-HELP.

What to expect if you test positive for COVID-19

If you test for COVID-19 and the results are positive, your local health department and your health care provider will be notified of your results.

Your health care provider should contact you regarding your positive test results and provide you with further directives regarding your present care, follow-up evaluations, and isolation requirements.

You must stay isolated from others until you are advised by your health care provider to do otherwise.

Your health care provider may also discuss your case with local health officials. The health department will initiate an extensive check of where you have been since you first developed symptoms and with whom you have come into close contact. Your close contacts will then also be contacted, advised of their exposure risk, and provided directions on what they need to do. Your personal information will not be divulged to your close contacts.

COVID-19 and student insurance

If you have the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) from United Health Care—Student Resources and have COVID-related insurance inquiries, call the Student Health Center Business Office at 865-974-3135 or the local SHIP insurance broker, the Hildreth Agency, at 865-691-4652. Questions regarding COVID-19 health insurance benefits from other providers should be directed to your health insurer. The insurer’s customer service number is typically listed on their card, usually on the back.

Return to FAQ list

Do I really need to practice social distancing?

It is critical that we continue social distancing. Please refrain from gathering with friends and large groups, avoid public spaces as much as possible, and keep yourself healthy so that we can keep our community healthy.

Wearing a cloth face mask in public is recommended by the CDC and encouraged by the university when you are on campus and safe social distancing is difficult to maintain.

Return to FAQ list

When it comes to contact with others, when am I at risk?

With the exception of those returning from travel abroad or from river or ocean cruises, current CDC guidance for contact with others says you are at higher risk for infection only if you are a primary contact of someone who has been positively identified as infected with COVID-19.

  1. Primary contact means you have had direct close contact with a person infected with COVID-19. If you are a primary contact of a person infected with COVID-19, you should stay at home for 14 days, monitor yourself for the development of symptoms, and contact your health care provider if symptoms develop. You may be contacted by local health officials.
  2. A secondary contact is someone who comes into contact with a primary contact. Coming into contact with a healthy primary contact (that is, a person who has had contact with a COVID-19 patient) does not put you at high risk for infection.

For example, if a friend has been around someone with COVID-19 but you have been in contact only with your friend and not the infected person, you are a secondary contact and your risk of infection remains low. Your friend’s risk is higher because they are a primary contact of someone that is infected. They need to self-isolate, but you do not.

Return to FAQ list

Will the Student Health Center give out facemasks?

As the CDC recommends, the Student Health Center will provide face masks to all patients when they arrive at the health center. Patients must wear the mask while in the center and dispose of it in the designated biohazard receptacle located at the exit upon leaving.

In addition, the CDC now recommends the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help prevent people who may have the virus without symptoms from transmitting it to others. The cloth face coverings recommended are not surgical masks or N-95 respirators. Those are critical supplies that must continue to be reserved for health care workers and first responders as recommended by current CDC guidance.

Return to FAQ list

How does the university follow up when there is a potential case of COVID-19?

Guided by expertise from public health officials and the CDC, the university has a team that responds quickly to reports related to COVID-19.

Faculty, staff, and students have a crucial role in protecting the health of the campus community, because the response process starts with a self-isolation form. All faculty, staff, and students are urged to immediately complete a self-isolation form if they need to isolate because of symptoms or possible exposure.

After a staff member or student completes the self-isolation form, they will be contacted to learn more about their health situation, the people with whom they may have had close contact, and the places they have been on campus.

If needed, close contacts of the person who is self-isolating will be notified directly by either the county health department or campus personnel trained to assist in contact tracing.

In addition, Facilities Services may initiate temporary closures and enhanced cleaning and disinfection of affected campus spaces.

Facilities Services closely monitors the latest guidance for slowing the spread of COVID-19, including best practices for ventilation and for cleaning and disinfecting. High-touch surfaces and common areas are routinely cleaned to protect against exposure to COVID-19.

If a campus space is affected by COVID-19, Facilities Services will identify key people who use the space and communicate with them to discuss temporary closure requirements, coordination of enhanced cleaning and disinfecting, and considerations such as sensitive equipment.

Signage will be posted to designate temporarily closed areas. If possible, spaces will be closed for seven days before cleaning. Spaces will be closed for at least 24 hours.

The campus community can stay informed by checking the current list of temporary space closures.

Learn more about the work of Facilities Services.

Return to FAQ list

How do I arrange to move out of my residence hall?

University Housing is resuming the process for students to move out of their residence halls, and appointments are now available. Your health and safety are our top priority. If you have questions or need help with this process, contact

Move-Out Appointments

If you need to return to campus to move out of your room or apartment, you must log in to the University Housing portal and sign up for an appointment time to return to campus and move out of your residence hall. You may log in at any time to sign up for a check-out appointment.

  • Move-out appointments will start Monday, May 4, and end Sunday, May 24.
  • Appointment times for each residence hall will be offered daily in three-hour windows between 8 am and 8 pm (EDT). Your card access to the building will work only during your appointment time.
  • When you log in, go to the “Spring 2020 Move Out Appointment” tab and select your move-out date and appointment window. You can only select one appointment, but you can cancel and reschedule your appointment within the portal at any time.

The appointment time process will help maintain appropriate social distancing while allowing you to collect your belongings.

To further aid in social distancing, you may have only one other individual assist you when collecting your belongings. Everyone who enters the residence hall will be required to wear face coverings for the health and safety of students and staff.

To facilitate the move-out process, we have arranged to have a limited number of boxes, along with packing tape and carts, available at the front desk of each residence hall.

Set Your Mail Forwarding Address

Before moving out, please set your mail forwarding address in the University Housing portal by going to the “Mail Forwarding” tab and completing the form.

Interested in Options for Packing, Shipping, Storage?

The university is exploring partnerships with third-party vendors to provide packing, shipping, and storage options for students who are unable to return to campus. More information will be announced at the University Housing COVID-19 Resources website.

Return to FAQ list

What is the status of facilities, dining, parking, transportation, and other campus operations?

As the UT Knoxville and UTIA campuses shift to online classes and remote work, there are several changes to hours of operations and services.

The number of people on campus is being limited, and employees are practicing social distancing and taking appropriate protective measures as they keep essential services available.

Hours of operation and services can change suddenly as the situation evolves. Check back for updated information.

Student Union

Student Union Phase I—the section south of the glass walkway, adjacent to Phillip Fulmer Way and Johnson-Ward Pedestrian Walkway, including VolTech—is open Mondays and Wednesdays from 10am to 2 pm. Use the Phillip Fulmer Way entrance.

Phase I lobbies adjacent to the pedestrian bridge and Phillip Fulmer Way remain accessible 24/7 for Wi-Fi access.

Phase II—which includes the offices and facilities on the north side of the glass walkway, adjacent to Cumberland Avenue—is closed.

Vol Dining

Check Vol Dining for specific hours.

  1. Arena Dining offers takeout breakfast, lunch, and dinner on weekdays and brunch and dinner on Saturdays and Sundays.
  2. WhichWich in the Arena Café has takeout lunch on weekdays.
  3. The UTIA campus POD is open weekdays 7:30 am–3:30 pm.

Parking and Transit Services

  1. The T transit service is operating on a reduced schedule.
  2. Adjustments have been made to student and staff parking while classes are online.

University Libraries

Physical access to all UT Knoxville and UTIA campus library facilities—Hodges Library, Pendergrass Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine Library, and DeVine Music Library—is limited to staff members. All online library services and resources remain operational.

Student Health Center

The Student Health Center has modified its appointment process and telemedicine options.

Counseling Center

The Counseling Center is making adjustments to their operations to continue serving students.

VolShop and VolTech

VolShop retail stores are closed except for the VolTech location on the ground floor of the Student Union, which is open Mondays and Wednesdays from 10 am to 2 pm. Use the Phillip Fulmer Way entrance. VolTech offers computers, peripherals, and supplies for Mac and Windows computers and smartphones, as well as on-site computer repairs. Online shopping is available for all store items. For more information on online course materials and VolShop merchandise, visit

VolCard Office

The VolCard Office is closed. Students can email the office at

Legal Clinic

The Legal Clinic at UT Law is working remotely and fully operational. Call 865-974-2331 if you need assistance.

Closed until further notice

  • RecSports
  • McClung Museum
  • Ewing Gallery of Art and Architecture
  • Downtown Gallery

Return to FAQ list

I plan to travel internationally, what should I do?

Effective March 10, UT suspended nonessential UT-related international and domestic travel. Do not book any new university-related international travel until further notice

Return to FAQ list

Can I travel in the US?

On March 10, UT suspended nonessential UT-related international and domestic travel.

Essential travel is travel that is absolutely necessary and required to preserve:

  • the safety of our students, faculty and staff;
  • the safety of a research subject; and
  • research activity which cannot be postponed.

If there is a circumstance where you believe university-related domestic travel must occur, you may submit a request for an exception by emailing the request to Requests will be reviewed by senior university leadership.

We also ask that you be mindful of personal domestic travel and bringing visitors to campus. Please stay at home and don’t travel if you have respiratory symptoms.

Return to FAQ list

What is social distancing?

Social distancing includes measures taken intended to reduce the likelihood of exposure to an infectious disease. These measures include, but are not limited to:

  1. Remaining out of congregate settings or public places where close contact with others may occur.
    (Examples of congregate settings include places such as shopping centers, movie theaters, stadiums, workplaces, and schools and other classroom settings.)
  2. Avoiding local public transportation (e.g., bus, subway, taxi, and ride share), and
  3. Maintaining distance from others (approximately 6 feet or 2 meters).
  4. Using web-based learning for instruction rather than classrooms,
  5. Modifying operations by allowing people to come in only to pick up materials that have been reserved or requested on-line or by telephone
  6. Changing company practices by setting up flexible shift plans, having employees telecommute and canceling any large meetings or conferences.

Social distancing is only one component of the infection control measures sometimes taken by public health officials to stop or slow down the spread of a highly contagious disease. Other important personal infection control actions include:

  1. Cleaning your hands often.
  2. Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
    (If soap and water are not readily available, using a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.)
  3. Avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
  4. Avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
  5. Staying home if you’re sick, except to get medical care.
  6. Covering coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throwing the used tissue in the trash, and immediately washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or using the inside of your elbow.
    (If soap and water are not readily available, using a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.)
  7. Wearing a facemask if you are sick.
  8. Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces daily.
    (This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks. If surfaces appear dirty, clean them with a detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection.)

Return to FAQ list

Feeling worried about Coronavirus (COVID-19)?

You may feel understandably anxious about the impact of COVID-19 disease, the new Coronavirus disease spreading throughout the world and recently diagnosed within our state. The continual news feeds combined with rampant uncertainty can wreak havoc on the mental health of students and employees who are already stressed by the routine demands of college, home, and work life. Below are a few tips and links to multiple resources to help you keep a perspective and stay emotionally well.

  • Acknowledge your reactions and the reactions of your friends and family. Simply validating that this is a difficult time for everyone can be reassuring. Approaching this issue as a family can feel empowering and less isolating.
  • Maintain your regular routine as much as possible. Continue with your regular plans until advised to alter them by competent authorities.
  • Take care of yourself. While this may seem obvious, it is always easy to ignore our own self-care when distressed, which simply increases stress. Eat healthy, exercise, use hand washing and other reasonable precautions against virus transmission. Use your own typical calming rituals or outlets to stay internally chill. Stay connected to friends in safe ways and avoid isolating unless directed to do so.
  • Treat other people with kindness and compassion; especially avoiding the stigmatization of certain groups of people due to country of origin or travel. Such treatment simply drives fear and inhibits care. For more information on building resilience and avoiding stigmatization, follow this link:
  • Use social media to maintain contact with friends (it is “social” media after all) and get your news from more reliable sources. If you need to distance yourself from others for a time, take steps to ensure your emotional health such as suggested here:
  • Stay informed by getting your information from competent sources like the Center for Disease Control and Prevention which can be found here:
  • For UTK specific information go here:
  • Seek support when needed . Reach out to family and friends. Stay connected to your spiritual or religious resources. Come to the counseling center if you begin to have thoughts of self-harm or suicide or just feel that your distress calls for professional assistance.

For more tips on coping with COVID-19 related stress look here:

Return to FAQ list

Have you witnessed or been the recipient of a bias-based incident?

As we navigate these challenging times as an inclusive campus community, please do not make assumptions about others based on perceived symptoms or identities (e.g., race, ethnicity and/or national origin). We want to foster a campus environment in which everyone matters and belongs. This means showing empathy and respect to all Vols, particularly those for whom this may be an especially stressful situation.

It is important to uphold our values during this evolving situation and to protect every aspect of our community’s well-being. For those who may need additional support, please utilize the following resources:

  • Students can contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 974-HELP or the Student Counseling Center at 865-974-2196 for support services.
  • Employees can access resources through the Office of Human Resources or by calling 865-946-CARE.
  • For more information regarding bias and to make a report, visit

Return to FAQ list

How do I access my online classes?

The university has transitioned to online classes through the duration of the spring and summer semesters. Instructors will be in touch with their students with specific information about individual courses. ​Please visit the OIT website for information on accessing online learning resources.

If you need special accommodations during this online instruction period, please contact Student Disability Services at 865-974-6087 or email If you need technology services or support, contact the Office of Information Technology at 865-974-9900.

Return to FAQ list

Are any events canceled?

All events are canceled through the end of the semester, including commencement. Celebrating graduates and their accomplishments is a top priority for UT leadership, and we are working on a commencement ceremony at a later date. When a plan is finalized, UT will share that information with students and families.

Return to FAQ list

I understand campus events are canceled. What about athletics events?

The Southeastern Conference announced on March 17 that all regular season conference and non-conference competitions are canceled for the remainder of the 2019–20 athletic year, including all remaining SEC championship events, due to continuing developments related to the coronavirus (COVID-19).

In addition, all spring football games are canceled and there will be no pro days conducted by SEC institutions.

Read more on UT athletics.

Return to FAQ list

What about UT Institute of Agriculture employees?

UTIA has staff in all 95 counties, and regular and consistent communication is critical. Senior Vice President/Senior Vice Chancellor Tim Cross will continue to communicate directly with UTIA employees, including UT Extension and AgResearch employees across the state. Dr. Cross appointed a task to lead the development of UTIA plans in response to possible local transmission of the virus, and is working to ensure regular coordination with statewide Extension and AgResearch locations, as well as other stakeholders.

Return to FAQ list

How does the change to online-only course work affect research?

The Office of Research and Engagement is providing extensive guidance and updates for researchers.

Return to FAQ list

What is the status of research facilities?

The Office of Research and Engagement has outlined guidelines for labs and lists the current status of core facilities.

Return to FAQ list

What are the current cleaning procedures on campus?

Facilities Services closely monitors the latest guidance for slowing the spread of COVID-19, including best practices for ventilation and for cleaning and disinfecting. High-touch surfaces and common areas are routinely cleaned to protect against exposure to COVID-19.

Learn more about the work of Facilities Services.

Return to FAQ list

What if I have courses that require in-person work (performance, art, lab, etc.)?

Some courses, such as labs, art and performance courses, are more difficult to offer online. In those cases, your instructor will reach out to you directly.

Research laboratories will remain open and operational. Research supervisors and graduate assistants should coordinate about details specific to individual research.

As a reminder, if you are sick, or fall into a CDC self-isolation category, please do not come to campus.

Return to FAQ list

What academic support and resources will I have while classes are all online?

We will continue to support academic advising, academic coaching, and tutoring through online delivery methods. Please visit your college advising center or contact the Student Success Center for details.


Physical access to University Libraries is limited. They will continue to offer research assistance via chat from 8 am to midnight Mondays through Fridays and from 10 am to midnight on Saturdays and Sundays. Subject librarians are available to instruct in the use of library resources in all disciplines and offer research guides and self-paced tutorials. Learn more about the library’s services and resources for online students.

Disability services

Students who need disability-related accommodations should contact Student Disability Services at their earliest convenience at 865-974-6087 or

Technology support

The Office of Information Technology has been able to secure additional laptops and Wi-Fi cards for students and continues to accept requests for technology to assist students with remote learning. Students who need to check out devices should submit their request to OIT at OIT will use your Volmail account to contact you about needed devices, and we will ship laptops and technology devices to you.

Return to FAQ list

What about human subjects research, export control, and care for laboratory animals?

The Office of Research and Engagement is providing guidance on responsible conduct of research.

Return to FAQ list

Will grading or other academic policies change to help students?

To support your continued success, the university is offering one final opportunity for undergraduate students to request a change to their current academic grading modes or choose to forgo any changes for the spring 2020 semester.


  • For students who are graduating: Please make your selection no later than Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at at 5 p.m. EDT
  • Continuing undergraduate students: Please make your selection no later than Monday, June 8, 2020 at at 5 p.m. EDT.

Visit the Office of the Registrar for instructions on how to request a change to your current academic grading modes.

What about graduate students?

Graduate students are not included in the process and will not be able to appeal to change their previously selected grading option.

Return to FAQ list

Will students be reimbursed for fees?

With the transition to online classes for the remainder of the spring semester, our campus has outlined a plan to provide prorated refunds of several student fees for services that cannot be accommodated in other ways for students not living on campus.

Beginning the week of April 6, 2020, student accounts will be updated to reflect refunds—prorated for the period between March 23 and May 9, 2020—for the following:

  1. On-campus housing
  2. Meal plans
  3. Study abroad fees
  4. Transportation fees
  5. Parking permits

If you have questions about refunds and your student account, contact a One Stop counselor at 865-974-1111 or email

Select e-Refund in MyUTK

If you haven’t set up your e-Refund, log in to MyUTK and review your e-Refund selections to expedite receiving refunds by direct deposit. Select “View/Pay Fees” under “My Services,” then select “e-Refunds” to set up your account. To expedite the refund process, make sure your e-Refund information is set up by Friday, March 27.

If the e-Refunds option is not selected, a refund check will be mailed to your address on file. If you prefer to receive a paper check or cannot receive a direct deposit, you should confirm your mailing address. To do so, log in to MyUTK and click on the small pencil beside the Address section. This will take you to “Self-service Banner.” Click on your current address to edit or delete it. Remember to save your address.

Flex Plan Dollar refunds

Students with unused Flex Plan Dollars should log in to MyUTK and click the link in the “Important Messages” section to submit a refund or rollover selection for any unused dining Flex Plan Dollars. Vol Dining is sending an email about this process.

Additional details

  1. Refund amounts are personalized and will vary student by student, based on factors including residence hall, room type, and meal plan. Students who received institutional financial aid in support of spring semester housing, dining, and mandatory fees will be reviewed on an individual basis to determine refund amounts.
  2. Refunds will first be applied to any outstanding balances with the university.
  3. Students who continue to receive services because they have an exemption to remain in university housing through the end of the semester will not receive refunds.

Additional fees

Additional fees continue to support services that are being transitioned online to the greatest extent possible—including libraries, student health, counseling services, and academic coaching and tutoring.

Facility upgrades that were under way are being completed.

Student programming is moving online with cooking classes, exercise classes, book clubs, poetry slams, and a variety of other opportunities for students to engage with each other, learn, and relax.

While they may not look the same for the time being, these services and resources are more important than ever, and we are fully committed to continuing to provide them.

Return to FAQ list

Will tuition be reimbursed or adjusted?

Because of the need to support the resources required to offer an unprecedented shift to online instruction, there are no plans to reimburse tuition.

We understand that this is a difficult situation and not one that any of us anticipated at the beginning of the semester. It is our commitment to be flexible and help our students succeed through this so they learn and graduate on time.

While class may not look the same for the time being, an abrupt shift in teaching to meet students’ needs during a pandemic requires resources.

On the first day of the transition to online classes, more than 39,500 people joined almost 2,500 Zoom meetings across the UT System. The technical infrastructure and staffing needed to support this volume of online instruction are substantial and crucial to keep students on track academically.

We are committed to using tuition dollars to educate and meet the needs of our students, wherever they are, so they do not lose time during these unforeseen circumstances.

Return to FAQ list

What is the current status of research and creative activity?

According to the Office of Research and Engagement, campus-based research and creative activity are currently scaled down in an effort to limit face-to-face interactions and keep faculty, staff, and students safe.

Return to FAQ list

How is the university distributing CARES Act funds to students?

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, has begun to distribute $9.62 million provided by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act for student emergency relief.

Approximately 90 percent of the initial CARES Act funding is being disbursed directly to about 9,000 eligible students in the form of grant aid to help with financial hardships as a result of COVID-19. The remaining 10 percent will be available to students who apply for and are eligible for emergency financial assistance.

Grant aid will be distributed to UT undergraduate and graduate students with the highest need based on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Eligible students received an email from the university last week and do not have to take any action to receive the funds. Students who opted to receive electronic refunds will receive grants electronically. All other students will receive a check mailed to their address on file.

The remaining 10 percent of the initial funding will provide additional emergency funds through UT’s Emergency Fund Program to students enrolled in the spring 2020 semester. Students who have experienced financial hardship related to COVID-19 are encouraged to request an emergency grant using the Student Emergency Fund application administered by the Office of the Dean of Students.

The university has raised $180,000 in private donations for the Student Emergency Fund. The funds enable the university to support a broader range of students, including international students and others who may be ineligible to receive CARES Act funds. Read more about CARES Act funds and additional efforts to support students.

Return to FAQ list

What guidance do you have for international students?

The Center for Global Engagement has provided detailed information and resources for current and prospective international students.

Return to FAQ list

What is the status of summer fees?

To continue to support faculty as they teach remotely and to provide support and services to students as they learn remotely, the university is following its usual fee structure for summer. In-state and out-of-state tuition will be applied as they normally would be.

Summer charges include tuition, programs and services fee, health fee, library fee, and technology fee. Funds are used to maintain university operations and provide the extensive resources needed to live-stream classes and offer more online classes in this unprecedented situation. Fees support services that have been transitioned online to the greatest extent possible including libraries, student health, counseling services, academic coaching and tutoring, student programs and more. These services and resources are more important than ever, and we are fully committed to providing the technology and staffing to offer them to our students.

Online program rate

The online program rate is applied to students in designated distance education undergraduate and graduate programs originally designed for full online delivery. Programs that qualify for the online program rate are the distance education RN to BSN program for nurses, the online Bachelor of Science in Social Work, and 31 distance education graduate programs.

In-state vs. out-of-State tuition

As Tennessee’s flagship public land grant university, UT is supported by state appropriations. For the summer semester, the university is following its usual tuition model, which includes a lower rate for in-state residents whose taxes make those vital state appropriations possible every year.

We certainly understand that a college education is a significant investment, and we are committed to providing more students with an affordable, high-quality education. UT is investing more dollars than ever before in financial aid and scholarships. We have also announced our proposal to not raise tuition for the 2020-21 school year, which follows five straight years with tuition increases at or below 3%.

Return to FAQ list